MERIT staff offered a grand opening of a new technology-equipped meeting room on Feb 23rd, complete with treats and a hot cocoa bar. Faculty and Staff from across programs in the Teacher Education building dropped by and took part in demos of video capture technology designed for small group meetings. Staff and visitors sipped hot cocoa, asked questions and shared ideas for how to use Google Hangout and Kaltura Media Space’s new CaptureSpace Lite, and took turns guessing the name of the famous opera La Bohème playing on the bright flat screen.
The versatile space can be used for a variety of purposes. Ideas shared and discussed include:
- Group meetings over distance with Google Hangouts
- Video capture group discussion, and upload to Learn@UW
- Space to view a video and discuss.
- Arrange a Skype meeting
- Record an audio podcast with Kaltura and upload to Learn@UW
- Interview space (virtual or face to face)
- Gaming space and connect gaming console (example Xbox)
- Attend web-based conference with a small group
- Space to meet with applicants via Google Hangout
- Offer a workshop in the space
- Arrange meetings with Cooperating teachers in the field
The meeting space includes an oval conference table with 10 chairs, 60″ LCD display, videoconferencing camera, laptop connection, Mac mini computer, marker board, and chalk board.
Recommended resources include:
Please contact Adam Wiesenfarth at MERIT with questions or for more information about the technologies in 118 and information about MERIT meeting spaces. MERIT staff look forward to working with you.