Summer 2016, MERIT staff are working closely with UW Madison campus partners to prepare for the adoption of Unizen along with Canvas, a new learning management system. Both Moodle and Desire2Learn remain on campus up until Summer 2018 to allow for a gradual approach to migrating course sites. See the UW Madison Canvas information page for up to date information, a migration timeline, Canvas workshops and help resources.
Advantage to Canvas include:
- A clean, intuitive interface
- Integrated peer review functionality
- SpeedGrader (instructors can view, annotate, comment on, and grade submissions without downloading and re-uploading files)
- Course website design flexibility
- Easily create and update online content
- Intuitive assignment and grading options
- Group collaboration workspace
- Easy to integrate external learning applications
- Integrated Media Recorder (to easily include audio or video comments to personal messages, assignments, course discussions, and even graded work)
- Online rubric functionality to aid in learning assessment
- Ability to map student participation to learning outcomes
- Simpler to use on portable devices (smartphones, tablets)
In-person demonstrations and training sessions offered Fall 2016:
Hands-on Canvas demonstrations and training sessions are now available on campus. Please register to ensure your seat.
Canvas Demonstration: What is Canvas?
Monday, Aug. 22, 1-2pm
Wednesday, Aug. 24, 10-11am
Wednesday, Aug. 31, 1-2pm
Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2-3pm
Getting Started with Canvas
Tuesday, Aug. 23, 1-4pm
Thursday, Aug. 25, 9am-noon (FULL)
Thursday, Sept. 1, 1-4pm
Wednesday, Sept. 7, 9am-noon
SoE faculty and staff are encouraged to contact Catherine Stephens with questions about migrating to Canvas. MERIT staff provide instructional design consulting, library and IT support and look forward to working with you.