Resources for Teaching Online

School of Education faculty and staff are encouraged to reach out to MERIT staff for help and assistance with teaching online. Support is available for the Learn@UW suite of tools  including Desire2Learn (D2L), Moodle, and Canvas.

Please note by summer 2018, D2L and Moodle will no longer be supported at UW Madison. MERIT staff are ready to assist SoE faculty and staff with learning to use Canvas, and with migrating content.

During Fall 2016, over 60 SoE course sites became active in Canvas. Teaching staff comments include:

“I am excited about the transition to Canvas as I think it allows for more individual customization of information (besides being more of an attractive learning management system). For the most part, I played around by clicking away and trying to organize the site as I saw fit. I enjoyed that there were tutorials throughout, but the only thing I couldn’t really figure out by just clicking away was how to customize the options on the left hand margin. For this, I simply watched a YouTube video!“
Jessie Nixon
Graduate student Digital Media Studies
C&I TA for Mary Louise Gomez

“Having very little prior experience with any kind of LMS, I was surprisingly able to get the basics for the course established in Canvas – the syllabus, the assignments, other calendar events, the course readings uploaded. It was all very intuitive and streamlined. I anticipated needing to use help documents, but I have been able to figure everything out with a fair amount of ease so far. I look forward to learning more about using additional applications within Canvas. It also helps to know I have friendly staff who are able to support me as an instructor!”
Kimberly A. Oamek
Doctoral Student in Curriculum & Instruction, Literacy Studies
Teaching Assistant, C&I 368: The Teaching of Reading with Dawnene Hassett

The campus support environment for Canvas includes an online Canvas Community rich with articles and searchable resources.  The community includes special interest groups, opportunity to vote for new Canvas features, and a collection of guides and tips. For example, “What the Setup Checklist Does Not Tell You”.  Additional avenues for support include:

SoE faculty and staff are encouraged to contact Jim Jonas or Catherine Stephens with questions about Canvas or teaching with web tools. MERIT staff provide instructional design, guidance and consulting, library and IT support and look forward to working with you.