This form applies ONLY to MERIT Library Equipment. All other library-related fines or charges should be appealed through theMemorial Library website. This form may not be used to appeal charges involving lost equipment or equipment parts.
Our Philosophy on Overdue Equipment Fines:
The MERIT Library aims to make equipment available to all School of Education students, faculty, and staff. To achieve this goal, we enforce firm policies which include overdue fines. These fines are designed to serve as an incentive to return equipment on time, so that subsequent patrons are not disadvantaged.
How to Appeal an Overdue Equipment Fines:
Please fill out the form completely and with as much detail as possible. Users have until the end of the academic term in which the equipment was borrowed to appeal the overdue fine. You will be notified of the outcome of this appeal within one week submission of this form. For charges over $100, your appeal will be reviewed by a three-person MERIT Library Fine Review Board. For questions regarding this form, please contact the MERIT Library Circulation desk at (608)263-4750.
The following justifications are NOT valid and will result in the denial of the appeal:
- Borrower was unaware of the due date (Users can check their MadCat account).
- Borrower was unaware of MERIT Library hours (Users assume responsibility for knowing MERIT Library hours on the authorization form. MERIT Library Hours are also available on the MERIT Library website and voicemail).
- Borrower was unaware of equipment policies because they did not read the equipment authorization form. (By signing the authorization forms, users admit that they “have read and agree to the policies”).
- Borrower returned equipment to the MERIT Library drop-box on Clymer place (Drop-box clearly states that equipment should not be returned there).
- Borrower tried entering the Teacher Education Building through the Mills or Dayton St entrances after 4:30pm. (Information about other open entrances is posted on those doors).
- Borrower is making an appeal after the academic term in which the equipment was checked-out.
The following information must be completed in order for your appeal to be considered. Incomplete forms will be denied. You will be notified of the outcome of this appeal within one week submission of this form. For questions regarding this form, please contact the MERIT Library Circulation desk at (608)263-4750.