For instructors and teaching assistants working in Canvas, Teaching Effectively in Canvas is a new program designed to help make high-quality teaching easier for instructors. The Faculty Engagement team at DoIT Academic Technology developed the program to include four in-person workshops, with multiple sessions of each workshop offered between May 15, 2017 and June 2, 2017.
Each of the two-hour workshops focuses on a different aspect of teaching and learning as well as the Canvas tools that align with them. Activities designed to guide instructors through the creation of necessary elements are also included.
People are encouraged to attend a session for each of the four workshops to get the most comprehensive learning experience. Each session takes place in room 2425 of Sterling Hall. To register, find session dates listed under Upcoming Events.
Workshop descriptions and available sessions include:
- Course Design in Canvas: The workshop focuses on communicating learning objectives, while providing opportunities for students to connect prior experiences and personal learning preferences with course content, in Canvas — in a way that fits your teaching style.
- Monday, May 15, 1:00-3:00pm
- Tuesday, May 23, 9:00-11:00am
- Thursday, June 01, 1:00-3:00pm
- Assessment in Canvas: The Assessment workshop helps you develop and apply smart assessment strategies to course objectives, get and give good feedback that strengthens student learning — and do it more efficiently than you imagined, in Canvas!
- Tuesday, May 16, 1:00-3:00pm
- Wednesday, May 24, 9:00-11:00am
- Friday, June 2, 1:00-3:00pm
- Social Learning in Canvas: The Social Learning workshop provides methods and examples to enlist students in teaching and learning from each other with Canvas.
- Thursday, May 18, 1:00-3:00pm
- Monday, May 22, 9:00-11:00am
- Tuesday, May 30, 1:00-3:00pm
- Individual Learning in Canvas: The Individual Learning workshop offers examples and practices in Canvas to ensure students come to class prepared to interact with instructors and classmates.
- Friday, May 19, 1:00-3:00pm
- Thursday, May 25, 9:00-11:00am
- Wednesday, May 31, 1:00-3:00pm
Canvas is part of the Learn@UW-Madison suite of learning technologies and is supported by DoIT Academic Technology. DoIT’s Learner Experience: Training & Support service provides in-person training events such as Getting Started with Canvas and Managing Grades in Canvas. Additional resources for Canvas users include the UW-Madison Canvas KnowledgeBase, the Canvas Instructor Guide, consultations and online training. Visit canvasinfo.wisc.edu for all available resources, and updates about the campus transition to Canvas.
Source: DoIT AT news, May 5, 2017